Workshop Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
Workshop of the DFG Research Project:
“Impact of shocks on vulnerability to poverty:
consequences for the development of emerging Southeast Asian economies”.
Date: September 23 – 26, 2007
Location: Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand
Sponsor: German Research Foundation (DFG FOR 756)
Participants: DFG project members, national partners, international organizations and selected others.
Workshop concept and objectives
- To assess the project concept in light of initial empirical findings
- To update all subprojects on the conceptual basis for vulnerability
- To strengthen the cooperation between the German and the national research partners of the different subprojects
- To explore the possibility of including partners with additional research fields into the next phase of the project.
- To discuss research plans for the all subprojects (Ph D research and others)
The workshop comprised of scientific presentations, a field trip and discussion groups. The purpose of the presentations was twofold, first to update the research group on the state of the art of vulnerability to poverty research. Second to present some results of the secondary data analysis and to the extent possible a first analysis of the data collected from the household survey. On the second day the Ph D students presented their research plans, which was subjected to intensive discussion. On the third day a field trip was carried out visiting two villages that were included in the survey. Discussions with rural household members and villages leaders were conducted.